The Academy of Health Information Professionals
Renewing Academy Membership
MLA's Academy only accepts applications electronically. Download and save the forms, fill in, then upload to your member documents area or (for nonmembers only) send via email.
Important renewal information:
- Membership lasts for five years and must be renewed before the end of the fifth year.
- Members may renew at the level of their previous application (Member, Senior, Distinguished)
by completing a minimum of fifty (50) points of continuing education
and individual accomplishments. To renew at the same level, AHIP members must submit Form BIO and
Form LEDGER, but are not required to attach MLA continuing education (CE) and other
point documentation. For all non-MLA approved CE, an IPR form will need to be submitted with the application.
- Membership status may be advanced to a higher level if the professional experience and accomplishments for that level are met. In this case, members must follow the directions for an initial application. This includes those who wish to move from Provisional membership to a higher level. See the application process.
- MLA reserves the right to periodically audit renewal applications by requesting documentation.
- Applicant should be employed in the information field for
the five years prior to their renewal. If the applicant has experienced a job loss or change in career and wishes to retain AHIP membership, please refer to the new job requirements for AHIP.
- Provisional members must renew each year until they move up to the Member or higher level.
Steps for Renewal
- Download and complete the PDF or Word versions of the required forms for the appropriate level.
- Collect all of your supporting documentation in an electronic format (e.g., PDF). For courses not pre-approved by MLA, you need to submit Form IPR for each course.
- At the member level or above, use the LEDGER form to record
the points you have earned. Check the total number
of points to determine whether you have the required number and distribution
of points. In addition to the overall points, make sure any requirements for professional association activities and MLA activities have
- Upload all forms and documentation to the "Credentialing/AHIP Documentation" area in your member account. You may combine or provide separate documents. Nonmembers will need to email forms to the Professional Development Department, email@example.com.
- ONLY after your documentation is complete and uploaded, pay the appropriate nonrefundable application/renewal fee (noted below) in US dollars. To pay by credit card (MasterCard, American Express, Discover, or Visa), visit the MLA Store, choose your Academy level, and go through check out (choose the $0.00 ground ship option to avoid errors).
- MLA Member, Academy Member level or above, $195.00 (US Dollars) $195.00 (US Dollars)
- Non-MLA Member, Academy Member level or above, $390.00 (US Dollars)
- PROVISIONAL RENEWALS ONLY: You do not need to pay a fee to renew your Provisional Academy membership. However, you MUST email MLA when your renewal documentation has been uploaded to your record or your documents will not be reviewed.
Submit these forms
at the SAME level
at a HIGHER level (including those moving from Provisional to Member level): MLA considers this a new application. See the Application Process page for details.
|...at the Provisional level
- Form Provren (you will receive this from your Academy mentor)
- Form IPR
(for any courses not previously approved by MLA)
You may download copies from the forms page.
Continue to the Point Index
Candidates for renewal who desire an extension because of extenuating
circumstances must make the request via email describing the circumstances.
The email must be sent to the director of professional development at MLA headquarters. The director will decide if the circumstances warrant
Retired Librarians/Emeritus Level
Retired librarians with ten consecutive
years of academy membership (at any level except Provisional) prior to
retirement may continue membership in the academy by requesting
emeritus status and completing Form Emeritus. There is no fee to apply at this level.