MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Rochelle L. (Shelley) Auster Bader
Fellowship Conferred: 2010
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Board of Directors, Member, 1995–1998
- Frank Bradway Rogers Information Advancement Award Jury, Member, 1989–1992; Chair, 1991–1992
- Annual Meeting Program Committee, 1985
- Annual Meeting, Hospitality Committee, Cochair, 1980
- American Medical Informatics Association Advisory Council, MLA Representative, 1992–1996
- Educational Media and Technologies Section, Founder
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter, Treasurer, 1980–1982
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2010
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Emeritus Membership, 2008
- Health Sciences Communications Association (HeSCA), Golden Raster Award, presented for distinguished leadership in the field of biomedical communications and outstanding contributions to health sciencse information
- Who’s Who of American Women, 1997–
- Hofstra University Alumni Association, George M. Estabrook Award for Outstanding Professional Achievement, 1994
- George Washington Award for Outstanding Service to the University, 1994
- Certificate of Appreciation. George Washington University, School of Medicine Class of l991
- HeSCA/Journal of Biocommunication Literary Award, 1989 and 1992 for articles on videodisc utilization
- HeSCA, Distinguished Service Award, 1986
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Mentoring, especially in the area of organization development, is the centerpiece of Bader’s contribution to the field of librarianship
- Consultant in strategic planning, coordination, and service implementation for many health sciences libraries
- Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia [CHOP] IAIMS Advisory Committee, 2002–2004
- National Health Information Resource Center (NHIRC) Technical Advisory Panel, Member, 1996–
- National Library of Medicine, Internet Connections Grant Review Panel, Member, 1995–1996
- American Medical Informatics Association (AMIA), Education Working Group, Executive Committee, 1991–1995; People and Organizational Issues Working Group, Nominations Committee, Chair, 1997
- Association of Academic Health Sciences Library Directors (AAHSLD), President 1986–1987; Finance Committee, Chairman, 1987–1988; Program Committee, 1985; 1989–1991
- Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC), Group on Medical Education; Council on Academic Societies (AAHSLD representative) l991–2007; Administrative Board, Member, 2001–2004; Information Resources Program Planning Committee, , Member, 1998
- Association of Biomedical Communications Directors (ABCD), Membership Committee l989–1991; Program Committee, Chair, l996
- Health Sciences Communications Association (HeSCA), Awards Committee, Chair, 1992; Interactive Media Festival, Coordinator, 1990–1991;Judge, 1989; Nominations Committee, Chair, 1986–1987; President, 1984–1985; Treasurer, 1982–1983; BIO (joint meeting of HeSCA, AMI, BPA, ABCD), Chair,1984; Board of Directors, 1980–1986; Program Committee, 1981 and 1982 ; Learning Resources Center Catalog, Editor, 1979; Biomedical Libraries Functional Section, Chair, 1978; Exhibits Committee 1978–1982; Cochair, 1981, Chair, 1982
- Annual Statistics of Medical School Libraries in the United States & Canada, Editorial Review Board, 12th, 13th and 14th editions, Member, l989–1993
- Journal of Biocommunication, Editorial Review Board, Member, 1988–1992
- Annual meeting seminar leader for "Job Market '84: Preparing for the Employment Interview"
- Regional Medical Library Program (RML), National Library of Medicine, Region 2 Advisory Committee, Member, 1983–1988, 1997– ; Region IV Advisory Committee, Member, 1980–1982; Region IV AV Committee, Member, 1975–1979
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Jenkins C, Bader S. The Association of Academic Health Sciences Libraries collaboration with the Association of American Medical Colleges, Medical Library Association, and other organizations. J Med Lib Assoc 2003 Apr;91(2):161–7. [cited 14 Sep 2012].
- Bader S, McNeely RA, Sandefur RR, Braude RM. Biomedical communications: past, present, future. J Biocommun 2000;27(1):29–37.
- Bader SA, Braude RM. “Patient informatics”: creating new partnerships in medical decision making. Acad Med. 1998;73(4):408–11.
- Bader SA, Thompson LL. Analyzing in-house journal utilization: an added dimension in decision-making. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1989 Apr;77(2):216–8 (also presented at 1988 MLA annual meeting). [cited 13 Sep 2012].
- Grefsheim SF, Bader SA Meredith P. Personal/departmental journal subscriptions: panacea or Pandora for a library's journal collection. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1984 Apr;72(2):2089. [cited 12 Sep 2012].
- Associate Professor Emeritus, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington DC, 2008–
- Associate Vice President, Educational Resources, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1997–2008
- Director of Educational Resources, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, l990–1997
- Director, Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1980–l990
- Chief, Reader Services Division, Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1979–1980
- Chief, Access and Facilities Services Division, Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1978–1979
- Head, Audio Visual Study Center, Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1975–1978
- Head Reference Librarian, Himmelfarb Health Sciences Library, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1973–1975
- Circulation Librarian, Medical Library, George Washington University, Washington, DC, 1971–1973
MLA published statements about the fellow
- EdD, Higher Education Administration and Organizational Behavior and Development, George Washington University, Washington, DC, 1993. [Dissertation: Scholarly Recognition of Computer-based Educational Materials Developed by Faculty in American Medical Colleges]
- MLS, School of Library and Information Science, University of Maryland–Baltimore, 1973 (Beta Phi Mu)
- BA, Speech Arts; BA, Education, Hofstra University, Hempstead, NY, 1970
Contributed by Shelley Bader; 2012