MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
David Bishop, 1928-1989
Fellowship Conferred: 1990
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Handbook of Medical Library Practice, 4th ed., associate editor, 1976-88.
- “Guidelines for Academic Health Sciences Libraries”, expert reviewer, 1984-87.
- National Program Committee, Annual Meeting, Montreal, co-chair, 1981.
- MLA Bulletin, editorial consultant, 1976-78.
- MLA/NLM Task Force on the Impact of MEDLARS II on Cataloging and Classification, chair, 1974-75.
- Board of Directors, member, 1971-74.
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1990
- Marcia C. Noyes Award (posthumous), 1990
- President’s Award, 1989
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1976
- National Library of Medicine, Regional Medical Library Program, Certificate of “recognition and appreciation”, 1982
- Association of American Medical Colleges, Group on Public Relations, Distinguished Service Award, 1976
- Arizona State Library Association, Librarian of the Year 1970, 1971
Publications (5 representative)
- University Librarian & Associate Adjunct Professor, History of the Health Sciences, University of California-San Francisco, CA, 1977-1989.
- Director, Library of Medicine; Director, Midcontinental Regional Medical Program; & Associate Director, Clinical Neurology Information Center, University of Nebraska Medical Center, Omaha NE, 1973-77.
- Medical Librarian, McGill University, Montreal, Canada, 1971-73.
- Librarian, Arizona Medical Center Library, Tucson AZ, 1965-1971.
- Serials Librarian, UCLA Biomedical Library, Los Angeles CA, 1963-65.
- Dental Librarian, UCLA Biomedical Library, Los Angeles CA, 1961-63 .
- Reference/Cataloging Librarian and then Head of Reference, Los Angeles County Medical Association Library, Los Angeles CA, 1958-61.
MLA published statements about the fellow
Contributed by Lois Ann Colaianni, AHIP, FMLA, and Lisa Mix
Edited March 26 & April 12, 2007