MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Alfred N. Brandon
Fellowship Conferred: 1990
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- President, 1965/66
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, editor, 1961-69
- Southern Chapter, chair, 1960
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1990
- Marcia C. Noyes Award, 1977
- Ida and George Eliot Prize Essay Award, 1972
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1969
Publications (5 representative)
- Brandon AN, Hill DR. Selected list of books and journals in allied
health. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1984 Oct; 72:373-91 (subsequent revised
editions published every two years. The last edition co-edited by Brandon
was Bull Med Libr Assoc 1996 Jul;84(3):289-309).
- Brandon AN. The continuing controversy over change. Bull Med Libr
Assoc 1978 Jan; 66(1):1-5.
- Brandon AN. Academic status for medical school librarians. Bull Med.
Libr Assoc 1970 Jan; 58:1-6.
- Brandon AN. The emergence of the modern medical library. In: Darling
L, Bishop D, Colaianni LA eds. Handbook of medical library practice,
3d ed. Chicago: Medical Library Association, 1970:1-15.
- Brandon AN, Hill DR. Selected list of books and Journals for the small
medical library. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1965 Jul; 53:329-64 (subsequent
revised editions published every two years. The last edition co-edited
by Brandon was 1997 Apr Bull Med Libr Assoc 85(2):111-35).
- Librarian & Director of New York & Northern New Jersey Regional
Medical Library, New York Academy of Medicine, New York, NY, 1973-78
- Chairman & Professor, Mount Sinai School of Medicine, Dept. of
Library Science, New York, NY,1969-73
- Director Welch Medical Library, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore,
- Head Librarian, University of Kentucky Medical Center, Lexington,
- Head Librarian, Loma Linda University, Loma Linda, CA, 1953-57
- Head Librarian, Transportation Library, University of Michigan, Ann
Arbor, MI, 1952-53
- Assistant Librarian, Atlantic Union College, South Lancaster, MA,
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Morgan LK. Alfred N. Brandon, 1922-1996. (obituary). 1997 Jan; Bull
Med Libr Assoc 85(1): 71-72.
- Martin JA. Alfred N. Brandon, President, Medical Library Association,
1965/66. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1965 Jul; 53:457-8.
Edited September 26, 2003