MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Holly Shipp Buchanan
Fellowship Conferred: 2009
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Janet Doe Lectureship Jury, Chair, 1996–1997
- Ad Hoc Committee on Fellows and Honorary Members, Chair, 1988–1989
- Strategic Planning Committee, Chair, 1987–1989
- President, including terms as President-Elect and Immediate Past-President, 1986–1989
- Committee on Committees, Chair, 1986–1987
- Nominating Committee, Chair, 1986–1987
- National Program Committee, Annual Meeting in Minneapolis, MN, Chair,
- Board of Directors, Member, and Section Council, Chairman, 1981–1983
- Hospital Libraries Section, Planning Committee, Member and Chair, 1985–1987
- Hospital Libraries Section, Chairman-Elect, Chair, Past Chairman, 1984–1987
- Hospital Libraries Section, Membership Committee, Chair, 1978–1980
- Local Arrangements Committee, Chair, Annual Meeting, South Central Chapter, Albuquerque, NM, 2005–2007
- Executive Board, Midwest Chapter, Member, 1981–1982
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2009
- 100 Most Notables, 1998
- Professional Recognition Award for Publication, Hospital Libraries Section, 1992
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished
- National Library of Medicine, Board of Regents, Member, 2003–2007; Chair, 2006–2007
- National Library of Medicine Fellowship in Medical Informatics at the Marine Biology Laboratory in Woods Hole, MA, 1994
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical
Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Alverson DC, Saiki SM Jr, Kalishman S,
Lindberg M, Mennin S, Mines J, Serna L, Summers K, Jacobs J, Lozanoff S, Lozanoff B, Saland L, Mitchell S, Umland B, Greene G, Buchanan HS, Keep M, Wilks D, Wax DS, Coulter R, Goldsmith TE, Caudell TP. Medical students learn over distance using virtual reality simulation. Sim Healthcare. 2008 3:10–5.
- Buchanan HS, Waitzkin H, Eldredge J, Davidson R, Iriart C, Teal J. Increasing access to Latin American social medicine resources: a preliminary report. J Med Libr Assoc. 2003 Oct;91(4):418–25 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Buchanan HS, Morris RCT, Kauley TD. Serving native health needs: merging technology and traditional information services. West J Med. 1999 Nov/Dec;171(5/6):373–5 [cited 16 Mar 2011].
- Buchanan HS, Marshall JG. Benchmarking reference services: step-by-step. Med Ref Serv Q. 1996 Spring;15(1):1–13.
- Buchanan HS. Library services and health care administration. Libr Trends. 1993, Summer;42(1):62–82.
- Health Sciences Center Chief Information Officer, The University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 2007–present
- Deputy Chief Information Officer (UNM-wide), The University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 2007–2009
- Associate Vice President for Knowledge Management and Information Technology, Health Sciences Center; Director, Health Sciences Library and Informatics Center; and Professor (tenured), School of Medicine, The University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 2004–present
- Director, Health Sciences Library and Informatics Center, Professor (tenured), School of Medicine, The University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 2001–present
- Director, Health Sciences Center Library and Health Sciences Center Computer Services, Associate Professor, School of Medicine, The University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 1998–2001
- Director, Health Sciences Center Library and Associate Professor, School of Medicine, The University of New Mexico–Albuquerque, 1997–1998
- Director of Libraries and Associate Professor, Medical College of Georgia–Augusta, 1993–1997
- Graduate Assistant, School of Education, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY, 1991–1993
- Library Management Consultant, Louisville, KY, 1990–1993
- Director, Corporate Information Resources, Alliant Health System, Louisville, KY, 1985–1989
- Instructor, Advanced Bibliography, Spalding College, Louisville, KY, 1975
- Director, Medical Library, NKC Hospitals (currently Alliant Health System), Louisville, KY, 1973–1984
- Medical Library Assistant,A. W. Calhoun Medical Library, Emory University, Atlanta, GA, 1972–1973
MLA published statements about the fellow
Edited March 16, 2011