MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Robert Grant Cheshier
Fellowship Conferred: 1996
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Ad Hoc Committee to Establish the Cunningham Endowment, Chair, 1987
- Council of Developing Medical School Libraries, Honors and Awards, Chair, 1984–1985
- Janet Doe Lectureship Subcommittee, Chair, 1984–1985
- International Cooperation Committee, Subcommittee on Affiliation of MLA with National and Multinational Groups, Chair, 1977–1979
- Annual Meeting, Executive Committee, Chair, 1975
- Annual Meeting, Program Committee, Chair, 1969
- Cleveland Area Metropolitan Library System, Board of Trustees, Chair, 1975–1979
- Library Council of Greater Cleveland, Chair, 1975 and 1976
- Kentucky-Ohio-Michigan Regional Medical Library, Executive Committee, Chair, 1977
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 1996
- Janet Doe Lecturer, 1981
- Who’s Who in the Midwest, 18th edition, 1982
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Study Tour, Federal Republic of Germany, International Committee of the Library Association, 1981
- Hilbert T. Ficken Memorial Award, Baldwin-Wallace College, 1987
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical
Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Cheshier RG. The limits of the comprehensible: reflections on medical librarianship. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1981 Oct;6 (4):373–81. (Janet Doe Lecture on the history or philosophy of medical librarianship, Medical Library Association,81st Annual Meeting, Montreal, QC, Canada; 2 Jun 1981.) [cited 10 Apr 2010].
- Cheshier RG, ed. Principles of medical librarianship: the environment affecting health science libraries. Cleveland, OH: Press of Case Western Reserve University; 1970. (Revised editions published as The Environment Affecting Health Science Libraries; 1975, 1977, 1980.)
- Cheshier RG. Research and the practicing librarian. J Edu Libr. 1979 Fall;20(2):142–8.
- Cheshier RG. Providing library services in a time of fiscal crisis: alternatives. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1977 Oct;65(4):419–24 [cited 10 Apr 2010].
- Cheshier RG. Information in the health care system. Ann Am Acad Pol Soc Sci. 1974 Mar;412:138–44.
- Director, Cleveland Health Sciences Library of the Cleveland Medical Association and Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1966–1997
- Adjunct Professor, School of Library Science, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1980–1987
- Director, Medical Library Training Program, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH, 1971–1986
- Head Librarian, Chicago Medical School, Chicago, IL, 1965–1966
- Library Assistant, Librarian and Branch Librarian, The Boeing Company, Seattle, WA, 1958–1964
MLA published statements about the fellow
Compiled by Diane McKenzie, FMLA
Edited March 16, 2011