MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Mayo Drake, 1924-1986
Fellowship Conferred: 1986
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1980
- Committee on Scholarships, Member, 1968–1971; Chair, 1970–1971
- Convention Committee, Exhibits and Hotel Facilities, Chair, 1968–1970
- Medical School Librarians Group, Chair, 1969–1970
- Southern Regional Group
- South Central Chapter
Honors and Awards
- South Central Chapter/MLA Mayo Drake Student Scholarship Award, established 1993
- Fellow, 1986
- Certification, 1965
- Florida Health Sciences Library Association, Honorary Member
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- Designed library facility, hired staff, and developed collection for the new School of Medicine Library, Louisiana State University (LSU) Medical Center–Shreveport.
- LSU–Shreveport, Faculty Council, Secretary, 1968–1984
- South Central Regional Medical Library Program, Chair
Publications (4 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical
Library Association are available via PMC.
- Isché JP, Drake M. Medical library services in Louisiana. J La State Med Soc. 1980 Jan;132(1):8–11.
- Drake M. Priorities in preparation for opening day. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1971 Apr;59(2):300–3. [cited 10 Sep 2012]
- Drake M, Isché JP. Checklist of periodical titles currently received by medical libraries in the southern region. Medical Library Association Southern Regional Group;1967.
- Drake M. The life and works of Ernest Taylor (Ernie) Pyle [thesis]. Tallahassee, FL: Florida State University; 1957.
- Library Director and Professor, Department of Medical Library Sciences, Louisiana State University School of Medicine and Health Sciences–Shreveport, 1968–1986
- Head, Acquisitions, J. Hillis Miller Health Center Library, University of Florida–Gainesville,1957–1968
- Reference and Acquisition Librarian, Florida State University–Tallahassee, 1955–1957
- Demolition Expert, US Army Engineers, 1944–1945; 1950–1951
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Medical Library Association scholarship course on administration and bibliography, Emory University, Summer 1961
- MS, Library Science, Florida State University–Tallahassee, 1957
- BS, Public Administration, Florida State University–Tallahassee, 1954
Contributed by Dee Jones and Diane McKenzie; 2012
Back to Index