MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Suzanne F. Grefsheim
Fellowship Conferred: 2008
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA Research Policy Task Force, chair, 2005-07
- Nominating Committee, elected member 2002-3, 1989-90
- Board of Directors, 1998-2001, Treasurer, 1999-2001
- Continuing Education Committee, chair, 1992-93
- Medical School Libraries Section, chair, 1992-93
- Technical Services Section, chair, 1986-87
- Oral History Committee, chair, 1982-83, 1985-88
- MLA Oral History Project, Director, 1981-84, 1985-88
- Mid-Atlantic Chapter, chair, 1984-85
Honors and Awards
- HHS Secretary’s Award for Distinguished Service, 2001, 1999
- NIH Director’s Award for Exemplary Leadership, 1995
Publications (5 representative)
- Rankin, JA, Grefsheim SF, Canto C. The emerging informationist specialty: a systematic
review of the literature. J Med Libr Assoc 2008 July; 96(3):194-206.
- Grefsheim SF, Rankin JA, Perry GJ, McKibbon KA. Affirming our commitment to research: the
Medical Library Association's research policy statement: the process and findings. J Med Libr
Assoc. 2008 April; 96(2): 114–120.
- Grefsheim SF, Rankin JA. Information needs and information seeking in a biomedical research
setting: a study of scientists and science administrators. J Med Libr Assoc. 2007 October; 95(4):
- Pao ML, Grefsheim SF, Barclay ML, Woolliscroft JO, Shipman BL, McQuillan M. Effect of search
experience on sustained MEDLINE usage by students. Acad Med. 1994 Nov; 69(11):914-920.
- Grefsheim SF, Franklin J, Cunningham D. Biotechnology awareness study, part I: where biotechnologists
get their information. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1991 Jan; 79(1):36-44.
- Director, NIH Library, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD. 1992-present.
- Coordinator Health Science Libraries and Director, Alfred Taubman Medical Library, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 1989-92.
- Executive Director, Southeastern/Atlantic Regional Medical Library, University of Maryland, Baltimore, MD, 1986-88.
- Associate Director, Himmelfarb Library, George Washington University Medical Center, Washington, DC, 1979-86.
- Instructor, University of Maryland Dental School, Baltimore, MD, 1976-79.
Edited September 29, 2008