MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Kathryn Jones Hoffman
Fellowship Conferred: 2007
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- 1997 National Program Committee, chair, 1995-97
- Board of Directors, 1992-95
- Nominating Committee, 1991
- 1991 National Program Committee, associate-chair, 1989-91
- Credentialing Committee, chair, 1987-88
- Technical Services Section, chair, 1983-84
- Committee on Library Standards and Practices, chair, 1982-83
South Central Chapter, Medical Library Association
- Program Committee, chair, 2003-04
- Hospital Libraries Interest Section, Nominating Committee, chair, 2003-04
- Hospital Libraries Interest Section, president, 2002-03
- Hospital Libraries Interest Section, Executive Board, 2001-04
- Hospital Libraries Interest Section, Program Committee, chair, 2001-02
- Program Committee, chair, 1992-94
- Nominating Committee, chair, 1992
- President, 1990-91
- Executive Board, 1989-92
- MLA Nominating Committee Nominee, 1986
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2007
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Scroll of Exemplary Service, Hospital Libraries Section, 2004
- Distinguished Service Award, South Central Chapter, Medical Library Association, 2001
- Estelle Brodman Award for Academic Medical Librarian of the Year, 1990
- Texas Library Association, TALL Texan Mentor, 2006
- Beta Phi Mu Library Honor Society, 1973
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical
Library Association are available via PubMed Central http://pubmedcentral.gov/
- Hoffman K. Professional ethics and librarianship. Texas Libr J 2005 81(3):7-11.
- Hoffman K. Profile of a comprehensive cancer center library. J Hosp Libr 2004 4(3):79-88.
- Hoffman K. Automation in bibliographic management: past, present, and future. IN Current practice in health sciences librarianship. Vol. 6: Bibliographic Management of Information Resources in Health Sciences Libraries. Lanham, MD: Scarecrow Press, 2001, pp.185-212.
- Pisters PWT, Hoffman K. Computer-based literature searches. IN Surgical research: basic principles in clinical practice. 3rd ed. New York: Springer, 1998, pp. 83-95.
- Hoffman K. New credentialing program approved. MLA News 1988 April; 204:1.
- Executive Director, Research Medical Library, The University of Texas M. D. Anderson Cancer Center, 1995-present
- Director of Libraries, University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center at Dallas, 1991-95
- Associate Executive Director for Finance and Administration, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, 1989-90
- Associate Director for Technical Services, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, 1985-89
- Assistant Director for Technical Services, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, 1983-85
- Head, Cataloging Services, Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, 1975-83
- Assistant to the Director for Collection Development (.5FTE); Serials Cataloger (.5FTE), Houston Academy of Medicine-Texas Medical Center Library, 1973-75
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Proceedings of the 107th annual meeting of the Medical Library Association. J Med Libr Assoc.
2008 January; 96(1): e10-e11. [cited April 7, 2008]
- MLA honors excellence in health sciences librarianship. MLA News 2007 Jun/Jul; 397:16-20.
Edited April 7, 2008