MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Ann Elizabeth Kerker (1912-1997)
Fellowship Conferred: 2008
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Interim Executive Director, 1981-82
- Ad Hoc Committee on Inter-Association Representatives, chair, 1977-78
- Immediate Past President, 1977-78
- President, 1976-77
- Committee on Committees, chair, 1975-77
- President Elect, 1976-77
- Nominating Committee, chair, 1975-76
- MLA Representative to American Library Association, Reference and Adult Services Division, Bibliography Committee, 1974-76
- Bulletin of the Medical Library Association, Editorial Board, 1972-73
- Board of Directors, 1968-70; 1975-78
- Treasurer, 1968-70
- Finance Committee, chair, 1968-70
- Veterinary Medical Libraries Section
- Founding Member, 1973
- Program Chair, 1973-74
- Research Libraries Group
- Steering Committee, chair, 1974-75
Midwest Regional Group
- Secretary, 1963-64
- President, 1964-65
- Meetings and Workshops, Co-chair, 1962, 1966, 1972
Honors and Awards
- MLA Most Notable
- Fellow, 1978
- MLA Award of Appreciation, 1982 [for service as Interim Executive Director]
- John H Moriarty Award for Distinguished Librarianship, Special Library Association, Indiana Chapter, 1977
- Phi Zeta – Honorary Member, Purdue Chapter, Veterinary Medicine Honor Society,
- American Library Association/ACRL Eunice Rockwell Oberly Award for best English-language bibliography in the field of agriculture or a related science, 1975. [For Comparative and Veterinary Medicine: Guide to the Resource Literature, 1973.]
- Beta Phi Mu – International Honor Society For Library & Information Science and Information Technology
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical
Library Association are available via PubMed Central http://pubmedcentral.gov/
- Gluckstein F, Kerker A., Principle investigators. Library Statistics of Veterinary Schools in the United States and Canada. The Committee on Surveys and Statistics of the Medical Library Association. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1967 April; 55(2): 201–206.
- Kerker AE. The library – the workshop. J Vet Med Educ 1978; 5:16-18.
- Kerker AE and Murphy HT. Comparative and Veterinary Medicine: Guide to the Resource Literature. Madison: University of Wisconsin Press, 1973.
- Kerker A and Murphy HT. Biological and Biomedical Resource Literature. Lafayette: Purdue University; National Library of Medicine, 1968.
- Kerker AE. Information resources for veterinary medical education. J Vet Med Educ 1974; 1(2): 7-9; Addendum I. 1975; 2(1): 12-14; Addendum II; 1975; 2(2): 18-19.
- Acting Physics, Earth & Atmospheric Sciences Librarian, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN, 1978 and 1984
- Professor Emerita, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN,1977- 97
- Professor, Library Science, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN,1959-77
- Consultant, Michigan State University at the Universidad Federal de Minas Gerais, Escola de Veterinaria, Brazil, 1977
- Consultant, Empresa Brasileira de Pesquesa Agropecuaria, Brasilia, Brazil, 1975
- Head, Veterinary Medicine Library, Purdue University, West Lafayette, IN,1959- 77
- Life Sciences Library Assistant, Purdue University Libraries, West Lafayette, IN, 1955-59
- Medical Technologist, Exxon, Aruba, 1950-56
- Medical Technologist, Aramco, Saudi Arabia, 1948-50
- Medical Technologist, Standard oil of Columbia, 1945-48
- Medical Technologist, Arnett Clinic, Lafayette, Indiana, 1933-1945
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Dunlap A. Ann Elizabeth Kerker, President, Medical Library Association, 1976-1977. Bull Med Lib Assoc 1976; Jul 64(3): 332-334.
- Medical Library Association Oral History Committee interview with Ann E. Kerker. Interviewed by Nancy Whitten Zinn; Medical Library Association. Oral History Committee, 1983.
- Peterson SR. Evolution of a veterinary medical library. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1979 January; 67(1): 36–41. [p. 37 and 39].
- Grix LA. Proceedings, Eighty-second Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Anaheim, California June 11-17, 1982. Bull Med Libr Assoc. 1983 January; 71(1): 52–146. [p. 72, 74, 76, 100; picture p. 53].
Submitted by Diane KcKenzie
Edited September 29, 2008