MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
David Abraham Kronick, 1917–2006
Fellowship Conferred: 1985
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Annual Meeting Local Arrangements, Chair, 1973–1974
- Awards Committee, Chair, 1968–1969
- Advisory Council on Continuing Education, Chair, 1967–1972
- Pan American Health Organization, MLA Consultant, 1970
- American Association for the Advancement of Science, MLA Representative, 1963–1968
- MLA Board of Directors, Member, 1963–1964
- MLA Business Manager, 1958–1959
- South Central Chapter, Founding Member, 1973
- Medical Library Association of Northern Ohio, President, 1964
- National Library of Medicine Biomedical Library Review Committee, Member, 1969–1973
- Texas Council of Health Science Libraries, President, 1967–1968
- Association of American Medical Schools Committee on Guideline for Medical School Libraries, Project Director, 1962–1963
Honors and Awards
- David A. Kronick Traveling Scholarship, established in his name, 2002
- Ida and George Eliot Award, 1987
- Fellow, 1985
- Janet Doe Lectureship, 1980
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished
- Visiting Historical Scholar, National Library of Medicine, 1988–1989
- Council on Library Resources, Fellowship, 1972
- Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, 1965
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Kronick DA. Anonymity and identity: editorial policy in the early scientific journal. Lib Q. 1988;58:221–37.
- Kronick DA. Literature of the life sciences. Philadelphia, PA: ISI Press; 1985.
- Kronick DA. Goodbye to farewells: resource sharing and cost sharing. J Acad Lib. 1982;8:132–6.
- Kronick DA. A history of scientific and technical periodicals. New York, NY: Scarecrow Press; 1962. 2nd ed. 1976.
- Kronick DA, et al. Guidelines for medical school libraries. J Med Educ. 1965;40:5–64.
- Librarian and Professor of Medical Bibliography, University of Texas Health Science Center–San Antonio, 1965–1984
- Chief, Reference Division, National Library of Medicine, 1964–1965
- Director, Cleveland Medical Library, 1959–1964
- Librarian, Medical Library, University of Michigan, 1955–1959
- Assistant, Reference Department, National Library of Medicine, 1953–1955
- Associate, Department of Sociology, University of Chicago, 1950–1951
- Librarian, Western Reserve University Medical School, 1946–1949
- Captain, US Army, 1941–1946
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Walter PL, ed. Presentation of awards. Proceedings of the 95th annual meeting, Medical Library Association, New York, New York, May 1985. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Jan;84(1):146–7.
- Bowden VM, Sargent CW. David Abraham Kronick, AHIP, FMLA, 1917–2006 [obituary]. J Med Lib Assoc 2006 Oct;94(4):484–5.
- Brodman E. The literature of the life sciences: reading, writing, research (by David A Kronick [Library and Information Science Series]) [book review]. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1988 Jan;76(1):80.
- PhD, University of Chicago, 1956
- BSLS, Western Reserve University, Cleveland, 1940
- BA, Albert College, Western Reserve University, Cleveland, 1939
Contributed by Virginia Bowden, 2011