MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Jess A. Martin
Fellowship Conferred: 1989
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Medical Library Education Section, Section Council representative,
- Medical Library Education Group, chair, 1978-79
- Committee on Regional Medical Library Activities, chair 1972-73
- Committee on Continuing Education, chair, 1970-71
- Committee on Internship, chair, 1967-68
- Committee on Certification, chair, 1966-67
- Committee on International Cooperation, chair, 1964-66
- Membership Committee, chair, 1962-63
- Southern Regional Group, chair, 1977-78
- Midwest Regional Group, Executive Board of Directors, member, 1961-63
Honors and Awards
- Tennessee Library Association Honor Award, 1984-85
Publications (5 representative)
- Martin JA. Staff evaluation of supervisors. Spec Libr 1979 Jan; 70(1):26-9.
- Martin JA, et.al. Teaching of formal courses by medical librarians.
J Med Educ 1975 Sep; 50(9):883-87.
- Rivers NP, Martin JA. Drug information center in the medical library.
Drug Info J 1974 Oct/Dec; 8:97-9.
- Martin JA. Postgraduate training program for science librarians. A
six year review. Bull Med Libr Assoc 1973 Oct 61; (4):396-33.
- Martin JA. What happens to medical library interns. Bull Med Libr
Assoc 1967 Apr; 55(2):416-7.
- Director, Center for the Health Sciences Library, and Professor of
Medical Bibliography, University of Tennessee, Memphis, TN 1971-88
- Director and Principal Investigator for Postgraduate Training Program
for Health Science Librarians, 1972-1973
- Director, Health Science Library and Associate Professor of Medical
Librarianship, Temple University, Philadelphia, PA, 1968-71.
- Substitute Instructor, Drexel University School of Library and Information
Science. Philadelphia, PA, 1970
- Adjunct Lecturer, University of Maryland School of Information and
Library Services. College Park, MD, 1967-68
- Chief, Library Branch, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, MD,
- Health Center Librarian and Assistant Professor of Library Administration,
Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 1960-63
- Instructor and Associate Medical Librarian in Charge of Public Services.
University of Kentucky Medical Center Library, Lexington, KY, 1958-60
- Head of Technical Processes. Convair-Astronautics Technical Library.
San Diego, CA, 1957-58
- Medical Librarian. San Diego County Medical Society, San Diego, CA,
MLA published statements about the fellow
Edited July 16, 2003