MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Kathleen Ann McKibbon
Fellowship Conferred: 2012
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Invited to present workshops for nearly every chapter since 1989
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, Medical Library Association, 2012
- Lucretia W. McClure Excellence in Education Award, 2009
- Canadian Health Librarians: Leaders, Past and Present
- Outstanding contribution to Canadian Health Librarianship, Canadian Health Libraries Association, 2000–2005
- Doug Van Hinsberg Memorial Graduate Scholarship, Guelph University, 1971
Other Accomplishments & Activities
- Part of team that developed a new, interdisciplinary graduate program that includes computer science, business, and health, leading to master's degree in eHealth at McMaster University (now the director of the program)
- Acknowledged expert and instructor in evidence-based medicine at international, national, state/province, regional, and local levels
- Developed, under the leadership of Brian Haynes, the ACP Journal Club (supplement to the Annals of Internal Medicine)
- Canada’s Health Informatics Association (COACH), Task Force on Curriculum for all Canadian Informatics Schools, Member, 2010–2011
- Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR) Peer Review Committee, Open Operating Grants, Knowledge Translation Research Committee, Member, 2009–2011
- Association of American Medical Colleges and the American Association of Colleges of Nursing, Life Long Learning Initiative, 2008–2011
- International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA), Planning Committee, Member, Quebec City, QC, 2008
- Journal of the American Medical Informatics Association, Editorial Board, Member, 2007–2013
- Annals of Emergency Medicine, Editorial Board, Member, 2005–
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PMC.
- Wilczynski NL, McKibbon KA, Haynes RB. Sensitive clinical queries retrieve relevant systematic reviews as well as primary studies. J Clin Epidemiol. 2011 64(12):1341–9.
- McKibbon A. PDQ evidence-based principles and practice. 1st ed. Hamilton, ON: BC Decker; 1999; with Wilczynski N. 2nd ed. 2009.
- Haynes RB, Wilczynski N, McKibbon KA, Walker CJ, Sinclair JC. Developing optimal search strategies for detecting clinically sound studies in MEDLINE. J Am Med Inform Assoc 1994 Nov–Dec;1(6):447–58.
- Haynes RB, McKibbon KA, Walker CJ, Ryan N, Fitzgerald D, Ramsden MF. Online access to MEDLINE in clinical settings; a study of use and usefulness. Ann Intern Med 1990;112(1):78–84.
- Haynes RB, McKibbon KA, Fitzgerald D, Guyatt GH, Walker CJ, Sackett DL. How to keep up with the medical literature: I. why try to keep up and how to get started. Ann Intern Med. 1986;105(1):149–53. II. Deciding which journals to read regularly. Ann Intern Med 1986;105(2):309–12. III. Expanding the number of journals you read regularly. Ann Intern Med. 1986;105(3):474–8. IV. Using the literature to solve clinical problems. Ann Intern Med 1986;105(4):636–40. V. Access by personal computer to the medical literature. Ann Intern Med. 1986;105(5):810–6. VI. How to store and retrieve articles worth keeping. Ann Intern Med 1986;105(6):978–84 .
- Director, Master’s of Science in eHealth, Interdisciplinary Graduate Program, Faculty of Health Sciences (Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics), Faculty of Engineering (Computing and Software), Michael G. DeGroote School of Business, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 2008–
- Associate Professor, Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 2007–
- Associate Professor, Part Time, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 1999–2005
- Assistant Professor, Part Time, Department of Clinical Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Michael G. DeGroote School of Medicine, Faculty of Health Sciences, McMaster University, Hamilton, ON, Canada, 1996–1999
- Research Coordinator, Health Information Research Unit, McMaster University Hamilton ON, Canada, 1987–2005
- Research Assistant, Program for Educational Development, McMaster University Hamilton ON, Canada, 1981–1987
- Librarian, Engineering Research and Development and Business Libraries, Reed Paper, Toronto, ON, and Quebec City, QC, Canada, 1975–1980
- Science Librarian, Main Library, University of Windsor, Windsor ON, Canada, 1975
- Chemistry and Computer Sciences Librarian, Science and Engineering Library, Concordia University, Montreal, QC, Canada, 1972–1974
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings, 112th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Seattle, WA, May 18–23, 2012. J Med Lib Assoc. 2013 Jan;101(1):E1–E45. [cited 2 May 2013]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1536-5050.101.1.E1.
- Awards ceremony. Proceedings, 109th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Honolulu, HI, May 15–20, 2009. J Med Lib Assoc. 2010 Jan;98(1):E1–E39. [cited 3 Oct 2012]. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.3163/1559-9439.98.1.E1.
- PhD, Medical Informatics, Department of Biomedical Informatics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2005 [Dissertation: The Effect of Risk Attitude and Uncertainty Comfort on Primary Care Physicians’ Use of Information Resources]
- MLS, Library Science, University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada, 1972
- BSc, Chemistry, University of Guelph, Guelph, ON, Canada, 1971 (Honours)
Contributed by Ann McKibbon; 2012