MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Fellowship Conferred: 2008
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- MLA Librarians Without Borders ®, E-Library Training Initiative, Coordinator, 2007–
- Essential Links gateway, Compiler, 2007–
- Cunningham Memorial International Fellowship Jury, Chair, 1994–1995
- Ad-Hoc Committee to Study the Structure of the International Cooperation Section, Chair, 1994–1995
- Ad-Hoc Committee to Promote Global Partnerships, International Cooperation Section, Chair, 1993–1998
- International Cooperation Section, Chair, 1992–1993
- Association of Health Information and Libraries in Africa, Founding Member
Honors and Awards
- T. Mark Hodges International Service Award, Medical Library Association, 2010
- Fellow, 2008
- International Cooperation Section Award, Medical Library Association, 2004
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Rhine L. National HINARI training course. 2009.
- Ajuwon GA, Rhine L. Internet access and ICT training for health information professionals in sub-Saharan Africa. Health Info Lib J. 2008 Sep;25(3):175–85.
- Rhine L. The impact of information technology on health information in sub-Saharan Africa: the divide within the divide. Inf Dev. 2006 Fall;22:4.
- Rhine L, Mumba N, Chanda K. The development and use of the “Guide to Medical Resources” website at the University of Zambia Medical Library. WHO Liaison. 1998 Aug;9:2.
- Rhine L. The development of biomedical databases in the Soviet Union. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1990 Apr;78(2):196–7.
- Assistant Director, Collection Management Department, Health Science Center Libraries, University of Florida, 1994–2005
- Head, Technical Services Department, Health/Science Center Library 1975–1994
- Acquisitions Librarian, Libraries, University of Florida, 1973–1975
- Library Director, Inter-American University, Bayamon Campus, Puerto Rico 1972–1973
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Presentation of Awards. Proceedings, 110th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Washington, DC May 21–26, 2010. J Med Lib Assoc. 2011 Jan;99(1):E8.
- Presentation of Awards. Proceedings, 108th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc., Chicago, IL May 16–21, 2008. J Med Lib Assoc. 2009 Jan;97(1):E9–E10.
- PhD, higher education Administration, University of Florida, 1983
- MLS, library science, City University of New York, Queens College, 1972
- MA, history, New York University, 1970
- BA, history, State University of New York–Albany, 1968
Contributed by Lenny Rhine, 2011