MLA Fellow Brief Vitae
Kay E. Wellik
Fellowship Conferred: 2012
MLA Elected Offices and Committee Chair Appointments
- Local Assistance Committee, MLA ’06, Co-Chair, 2006
- Task Force for Consumer Health Credential for Librarians, Member, 2000–2003
- 2003 National Program Committee, Continuing Education Committee Liaison, 2000–2003
- Governance Task Force, Member, 1996–1998
- Board of Directors, Member, 1995–1998; Secretary, 1996–1998
- Hospital Libraries Section, Program Chair/Chair/Past Chair, 1992–1995; Treasurer, 1990–1992
- Nominating Committee, Member, 1993
- National Program Committee, Member, 1990–1992
- Exchange Committee, Chair, 1987–1988
- Medical Library Group of Southern California and Arizona
- Program Committee, Co-Chair, 2009–
- Nominating Committee, Member, 2000–2002
- Facilities Committee, Chair, 2000–2002
- Joint Meeting, Co-Chair, 1990–1991
- Treasurer, 1988–1990
Other Accomplishments and Activities
- Actively engaged in teaching medical informatics to nursing staff, allied health, residents, fellows, library colleagues, and continuing medical education
- Original Faculty, Mayo Clinic Evidence Based Clinical Practice, Research, Informatics, and Training (MERIT) Center
- Journal of Hospital Librarianship, Editorial Board, 1986–1989; Assistant Editor, 2008–
- Medical Reference Services Quarterly, Column Co-Editor, 1996–2003; Editorial Board, Member, 2003–
- American Library Association/Walgreen’s Consumer Health Education Project, Member, 2004–2006
- Arizona Health Information Network (AZHIN), Board of Directors, Member, 1994–2001
- Friends of the National Library of Medicine, Member
- The Education and Training of Health Sciences Librarians, Ad Hoc Panel on Hospital Libraries, Member, 1993
- Nursing Information Network, Advisory Panel, Member, 1989–1992
- Pacific Southwest Regional Medical Library, Representative, 1990–1993
Honors and Awards
- Fellow, 2012
- Virginia L. and William K. Beatty Volunteer Service Award, 2011
- Poster Research Award for “Analysis of the reporting of search strategies in Cochrane Systematic Reviews,” 2007
- Scroll of Exemplary Service, Hospital Libraries Section, Medical Library Association, 2002
- Medical Library Group of Southern California/Arizona (MLGSCA) Louise Darling Achievement Award, 1991
- Academy of Health Information Professionals, Distinguished Member
- Director’s Award, Department of Education, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, 1994
- Lux et Veritas Award, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center, 1992
Publications (5 representative)
Articles published in the Bulletin of the Medical Library Association or Journal of the Medical Library Association are available via PubMed Central.
- Ziemba KS, Wellik KE, Hoffman-Synder C, Noe KH, Demaerschalk BM, Wingerchuk DM. Timing of antiepileptic drug withdrawal in adult epilepsy patients after neocortical surgical resection: a critically appraised topic. Neurologist. 2011 May;17(3):176–8.
- Demaerschalk DM, Miley ML, Kiernan TJ, Bobrow BJ, Corday DA, Wellik KE, Aguilar MI, Ingall TJ, Dodick DW, Brazdys K, Koch TC, Ward MP, Richemont PC. Stroke telemedicine. Mayo Clin Proc. 2009 Jan;84(1):53–64.
- Youshii A, Plaut DA, McGraw KA, Anderson MJ, Wellik KE. Analysis of the reporting os search strategies in Cochrane Systemic Reviews. J Med Lib Assoc. 2009 Jan;97(1):21–9. [cited 12 Sep 2012].
- Pipe TB, Cisar NS, Caruso E, Wellik KE. Leadership strategies: inspiring evidence-based practice at the individual, unit and organizational levels. J Nurs Care Qual. 2008 Jul–Sep;23(3):266–72.
- Dee CR, Wellik KE. Current environment of hospital library reference: part 1 – transition to technology. Med Ref Serv Q. 2000 Winter;19(4):89–98.
- Dee CR, Wellik KE. Current environment of hospital library reference: part 2 – trends for the future of reference. Med Ref Serv Q. 2001 Spring;20(1):69–78.
- Director, Library Services, Mayo Clinic in Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ, 1997–
- Administrator, Humanities in Medicine, Mayo Clinic in Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ, 2005–
- Assistant Professor of Medical Informatics, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic in Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ, 2009–
- Administrator, Historical Unit, Mayo Clinic in Arizona, Scottsdale, AZ, 2010–
- Instructor, Medical Informatics, College of Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Scottsdale, AZ, 2004–2009
- Manager, Library Services, St. Joseph’s Hospital and Medical Center and Barrow Neurological Institute, Phoenix, AZ, 1987–1996
- Director, Health Sciences Library, St. Luke’s Hospital and Medical Center, Phoenix, AZ, 1982–1986
MLA published statements about the fellow
- Awards Ceremony. 112th Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Seattle, WA, May 20–23, 2012.
- Byrd GD, Squires SJ, eds. Business session I. Proceedings, Ninety-Fifth Annual Meeting Medical Library Association, Inc. Washington, D.C. May 7–10, 1995. Bull Med Lib Assoc. 1996 Jan;84(1):133–61. [cited 25 May 2012] .
- Certificate, Medical Informatics, Marine Biological Laboratory, Woods Hole, MA, 2000
- MLS, Graduate Library School, San Jose State University, San Jose, CA, 1981
- BS, Health Sciences, San Jose State University, San Jose, CA, 1980
Contributed by Kay Wellik; 2012