MLA Job Description Project
In 1997/98, the Status and Economic Interests of Health Sciences Library Personnel Committee (SEIC) was charged to oversee the development of sample job descriptions for positions in medical libraries or information centers.
The project aimed to support the objectives of MLAs Platform for Change; most especially
- to help keep medical librarians competitive in the new electronic environment; and
- to enable health information professionals to promote and transfer their skills to changing, alternative, or developing industries.
An MLA member project team worked with the Employment Consultant Katie Bartholomew, of C. Berger and Company, to
- determine distinct areas of responsibility within a sample "director" job description;
- use descriptive, low-jargon terminology applicable to multiple job situations (and familiar to human resources personnel); and
- create a flexible tool for members that could be used in a variety of job situations and contexts.