For MLA Members: Find or Become a Mentor | Mentoring Resources
Mentoring and Expertise Areas |
MLA Rising Star Leadership Program (Pilot)
Whether you are new to the profession, in mid-career, or exploring the
profession, MLA can help you meet your career goals. MLA members can search
the online member directory to find a mentor or update their member profile to become
a mentor or expert to your peers. Find tip sheets, suggested Websites, and guidelines
to help you in your mentor role.
For MLA Members: Find or Become a Mentor
- Log in to the members' area and provide your user name and password, or select "Forgot Password?" to have a reminder emailed to you;
- In the members' area, select "Go to my account;"
To become an MLA mentor, or to add expertise areas: in your account, select "My MLA Contact and Profile Information" to Update your Member Profile. In your profile, scroll down to edit Professional Expertise or Optional Mentoring Choices; OR
- To search for colleague experts and mentors, visit the Member Directory.
Not a Member? Contact us for a selected list of mentors that can help you in your professional life!
Find tip sheets, suggested Websites, and guidelines
to help you in your mentor role.
Mentoring and Expertise Areas
The following are mentoring options available for search/selection in the MLA member directory:
- AHIP member and willing to serve as mentor to provisional members of the academy
- Willing to mentor a colleague seeking expertise.
- Willing to mentor new members of MLA or the profession.
- Willing to mentor those interested in changing specialties within medical librarianship.
- Willing to mentor those interested in changing their career to medical librarianship.
- Willing to mentor those needing help with resumes, cover letters, job interviews.
- Willing to speak about medical librarianship at career fairs, conferences, schools.
- Willing to do an informational interview about the profession or aspects of medical librarianship.
- Willing to host library school students for full- or half-day visits to medical library.
The following are the various expertise areas available for search or selection in the MLA member directory:
- accreditation (CARF, SoH, DPW, Joint Commission, Magnet)
- fund-raising, working with donors
- grant writing
- library management (budgets, staffing, planning, etc.)
- library space planning, construction, renovation
- marketing, promotion, outreach
- quality improvement, process improvement, reporting
- vendor relationships, negotiations, contracts
- experienced in handling press/journalist inquiries
- international connections
- meeting planning
- membership services, recruitment, retention
- unit websites
- volunteer roles
- course development - traditional
- course development - web-based
- self-directed learning
- career development
- copyright and intellectual property
- health information literacy
- international library relations
- job searches, interviewing, resume development
- papers and presentations
- publishing, authorship
- social media tools and best practices
- bibliographic/citation management software
- circulation management
- digital reference services
- end-user training
- expert searching
- ILL, Docline
- evidence-based practice (librarianship, medicine, etc.)
- needs assessment and user surveys
- research design and methodology (advanced)
- support for librarianship
- support for researchers (biomedical, clinical, marketing)
- academic, medical school libraries
- allied health
- archives & special collections
- clinical, informationist, embedded librarians
- consumer health
- corporate libraries
- federal (military, VA. etc.)
- health associations
- healthcare informatics
- history of the health sciences
- LRCs, computer labs
- mental health
- pharmacy, drug
- public health
- solo or one-person librarianship
- collection development
- electronic resource management
- indexing, cataloging, metadata
- library systems administration
- resource identification and selection
- serials management
- digitization, digital repositories
- emerging technologies
- Integrated library systems, federated search, discovery tools
- mobile technology & devices
- user interface design, usability studies and testing
- website design, development, management
Have ideas for additional expertise areas or mentoring categories? Contact Kate Corcoran
at MLA Headquarters.